BIG FUNNY’s first review is online at Poopsheet Foundation! Click logo to read it:
Can’t make it to the gallery opening at Altered Esthetics on August 7th but want to grab a copy of BIG FUNNY? You can now pre-order a copy (limit one per customer at this point) on the BIG FUNNY website.
Just click here and then scroll down until you see the purchase button:
If you don’t have a paypal account, you can use a credit card.
The massive, 48 page BIG FUNNY newspaper is $5. If you’re pre-ordering one we tack on $5.95 for shipping & handling. Pre-ordered copies will ship out August 7th, 2009.
The deadline for little funny is on the 20th… so you have less than a week to get yours in. Which is probably not a big deal, as it will probably only take you one evening of fun to get an issue together.
little funny, again, is a series of micro-comic booklets authored by anyone who wants to do one that will be sold out of a vending machine at the BIG FUNNY opening. It is easy, fun and inexpensive to participate… and all entries will be accepted. You can read all of the details about the project here.
All participants in little funny will be listed on the BIG FUNNY website, and we’ll eventually have scans of all the covers posted there as well.
Some people have been confused by the instructions… I tried to clarify them some more in the text. Additionally, here is a photo of two copies of little funny #8 by James Powell (the front of one and the back of the other).
Click to embiggen.
Go check it out!
Thanks much to Local Hero Kevin Cannon for building the website.
Here is a preview of the postcard for our upcoming BIG FUNNY show (opening August 7th). The gorgeous art is by Zander Cannon, and the design is by Local Hero Kevin Cannon and myself. The art is from the header of the newspaper, and includes Zander’s interpretations of characters from all 45 strips in the paper, I believe. We should have postcards available at the next Conspiracy jam meeting on July 2nd for everyone to help distribute everywhere (although not by the artist pot-luck this weekend, unfortunately… participating artists, check your email for info on that).
We go to press this week! I can’t wait to hold a copy in my mitts!
Note that there is still time to participate in our little funny sideshow! All submissions to that will be included in the show.
Click the images below to see larger versions.
Congratulations to the nearly fifty artists who made it into this summer’s BIG FUNNY newspaper and gallery show. We had over seventy outstanding submissions and it was very difficult to whittle it down. We usually like to be as inclusive as possible, but for this project the budget and limitations of printing an actual newspaper limited the amount of entries we could accept.
But there’s still a spot for people to get their name in lights: the classifieds!
The newspaper is going to press in a few weeks, and we’re looking for advertisements to throw in our CLASSIFIEDS section in the back of BIG FUNNY. You get 50 words for $20, and all proceeds go to helping the BIG FUNNY show exist — Altered Esthetics Gallery is a community-based nonprofit and can’t exist without your help!
Get all the details here.
Hurry, though — deadline is May 31
little funny is intended as a prominent “sideshow” to the upcoming BIG FUNNY project. little funny will be a series of mini-comics sold in an old cigarette vending machine at Altered Esthetics during the month of the BIG FUNNY show. No entries will be rejected provided they follow the specs (these comics need to be a specific size to fit inside the boxes in the vending machine).
HOW TO PARTICIPATE:
- DOWNLOAD THE TEMPLATE. The template includes a little funny logo on the front and back covers. One double-sided copy makes three copies of a 10-page accordion style micro-comic (or, alternately, 3 different issues).
- Email us at webmaster (at) cartoonistconspiracy.com for an issue number. little funny will be a numbered series. Make sure to put your number on your comic. If you choose to do multiple issues, you’ll need a number for each different issue.
- Draw your comic. Make sure to sign your work and include your contact info on it if you want to.
- Make copies of it. Copy, fold and staple them.
- We request a minimum of 18 copies of each comic submitted (which is 6 double sided xeroxes). More is great, and you can send us as many as you wish. Mail your copies to:ALTERED ESTHETICS
1224 Quincy St NE
Minneapolis, MN 55413
In addition to the comics please include your name, address, phone number and email address.
DEADLINE FOR PARTICIPATION IS JULY 20th.
THINGS TO NOTE:
- Each participant will receive one vending box of minis… how many minis are included in a box will depend on our level of participation. No box will contain all of the minis. Each participant will be responsible for picking up their box some time during the month of the show, or for making special arrangements if they can not attend.
- Participants names will also appear on the BIG FUNNY website as being a part of the little funny show.
- These comics can be by a single artist or be collaborative.
- You can do as many issues as you wish… if you want to do more than one, just ask us for another number.
- Comics may be color, or black and white, or on colored paper, or decorated with glitter glue, or painted or whatever the hell you want to do as long as you stick with the basic template.
- Two sets of all the comics will be kept for the Conspiracy archives.
- All proceeds from the comics will go to support the gallery, Altered Esthetics, which is a non-profit, community and artist centered gallery. You can read more about AE here.
- Submissions will not be returned.
The BIG FUNNY deadline just passed at midnight, smelling of sweat, ink, and old newsprint! Kevin had a busy day of getting submissions in… we now have 50 of them! The paper is going to be nothing short of spectacular!
And we still want yours!
Not done yet? You’re not alone… there are a number of people whose submissions are really close but not completed. And some, well… maybe not so close, but we’ll give them the benefit of the doubt. You too. We’ll give you one more week! That will be it, though, so don’t miss it!
Please note that submission does NOT guarantee inclusion. You will want to make sure to read the complete project specs and info here.
Please contact us if you are taking advantage of the extension… you can email me at webmaster (at) cartoonistconspiracy.com.
Â ** UPDATE — Server is now back up. Crisis averted. **Â
To all Big Funny submitters:
My email is down, and I’m not sure when it’ll be fixed. In the meantime, please send all submissions and questions about Big Funny to:
bigtimeattic [at] yahoo [dot] com
You can also try using www.yousendit.com to send me large files.
If you have sent in a submission to me and have not received a confirmation email, please resend using the yahoo address above.
Thanks, and sorry for the trouble!
The BIG FUNNY deadline is in one week! Get draw’rin already! I can’t wait to see everything!