Archive for the 'deadlines' Category
The Lutefisk Sushi Volume E Deadline is in Less Than Two Weeks!
And, gee… that is really more than enough time to get something together! We’re not building the freaking Taj Mahal, here! I’ve seen mini-comics masterpieces drawn and printed in under eight hours! What the hell are you freaking out about? Don’t make me slap you! I swear, I’ll do it!
We want your mini-comics!*
-Draw, print and deliver 160 copies of a mini-comic (any format) to Altered Esthetics before September 15th.
-Show up for the opening gallery celebration November 2nd at Altered Esthetics and have a good time.
That’s it. All submissions are accepted until the unlikely event that we can no longer cram them into a box. Every person who submits 160 mini-comics gets a box.**
Lutefisk Sushi is a hand-silkscreened, limited-edition box set of Minnesota mini-comics. This is the fifth edition… previous editions have contained between 35 and 55 comics each. This year’s featured artist and box-cover creator is Eisner-Award-winning cartoonist Zander Cannon (Double Barrel, Top 10, Chainsaw Vigilante).
Read more about submission details here.
* You must be Minnesotan to particiapte.
** limit one per artist regardless of number of works submitted, and artists who team to create a comic must share a box
Okay so recently Rain Taxi decided to launch a literary journal and is including COMICS! The deal is that on Aug 25th at the Cedar the event will launch with art making and local bands, and all the content for the issue will be made between noon and midnight, which is old hat for you comic jammers. They asked me to be the comics editor and I thought of you guys immediately. Who better to do this than 24 hour comics day veterans?
The deal is though, that Rain Taxi is crowd funding the project in the style of Kickstarter. And the funding seems to be creeping so it is going to need all the help it can get to become a reality.
The main reason that I am campaigning so much for this project among many other equally worthy projects is that I think it is a VERY IMPORTANT step in Minneapolis art/print scene that Rain Taxi from the get go decided to give COMICS an equal billing along with the more familiar short stories, poetry and non fiction. I think if this project makes it it will be another step towards comics being seen as an integral part of such anthologies and not an afterthought or oddity.
So that all said, if this sounds like something you’d want to participate in or help support here is where you do it. (Also read more about the details)
Also if your work is selected this is gonna be a really nice book on the resume 😉No comments
Hey guys my name is Jordan Shiveley and I run Grimalkin Press, a small publishing house for indie comics. Steve thought you guys might be interested in hearing about a few things we have going on so here it is:
1. The deadline for submissions for the sixth issue of HIVE: A Somewhat Quarterly Comics Anthology has been set at April 1st.
HIVE SUBMISSION SPECS:
Black and White or Greyscale
at least 300 dpi tiff preferably higher
No theme required
5.5×8.5 page format
2. HIVE FIVE is now available for preorder here. It is full of cartoonists ranging from Brazil, Germany, Scotland, UK and some of your very own Minnesotans.
3. We are accepting submissions for a one shot anthology themed around “JOBS IN FOOD SERVICE” There is not a due date as of yet and the tech specs are the same as the HIVE antho.
Looking forward to getting to know and working with the local cartoonist scene
all submissions should be sent to email@example.com
Only two weeks to go till Hourly Comic Day!
Need some inspiration? Check out Lucy Knisley’s beauties:
(And here are some more good examples from last year.)
(Aw heck, and here are mine from last year.)1 comment
The participating artist potluck for Lutefisk Sushi (and little funny Series II) is this Saturday, July 31st from 1-3PM at Altered Esthetics. If you participated in either project, I hope to see you there.
Some things to note:
– You can pick up your contributor Lutefisk Sushi Volume D box at the potluck! Don’t forget to get your name checked off the list when you do.
– This is the deadline to drop off your framed art to hang for the show. Please bring some, if possible. More than one item is great… too much art to fit on the walls is a much better position to be in than not enough! Note that it is not a requirement that the art you display be from your comic in the Sushi box.
– This is the deadline for dropping off your issues of little funny. There is still time to make one! Email me if you need a number:
– Pick up promotional Lutefisk Sushi Volume D postcards to distribute.
– Don’t forget to remind your friends, blog readers, co-workers, parents, cousins, casual associates, and random people on the street that the Lutefisk Sushi opening is Friday, August 6th from 7 – 10 PM! Promotional materials below.
– Bring one item of food… it is a potluck!
Misc Show Sites4 comments
little funny series II is intended as a prominent “sideshow” to the Lutefisk Sushi Volume D project. little funny is a series of mini-comics sold in an old cigarette vending machine at Altered Esthetics. The first series was compiled in conjunction with the BIG FUNNY show in 2009, and it is almost sold out… it is time to restock the machine.
No entries will be rejected provided they follow the specs (these comics need to be a specific size to fit inside the boxes in the vending machine). You do not have to be a Minnesota artist to participate.
Additionally, we have a limited number of vending slots available for people who would like to vend a non-little funny comics project from the machine. All projects will need to fit in a 3” x 2” x 1” box. Email tonytudisco (at) alteredesthetics.org for more information on this opportunity.
HOW TO PARTICIPATE:
- Email us at webmaster (at) cartoonistconspiracy.com for an issue number. little funny is an ongoing numbered series. Make sure to put your number on your comic. If you choose to do multiple issues, you’ll need a number for each different issue.
- Draw your comic. Make sure to sign your work and include your contact info on it.
- Make 50 or more copies of your comic. The only requirements for the comic are that it fit in the 3” x 2” x 1” box, and that it have the title little funny and the issue number on the cover. You can get the little funny logo here, if you are inclined to use it. A template is available, but is not required. One double-sided copy of the template makes three copies of a 10-page accordion style micro-comic with two covers (or, alternately, 3 different issues).
- We request a minimum of 50 copies of each comic submitted. More is great and much appreciated. You can send us as many as you wish. Drop off or mail your copies here:ALTERED ESTHETICS
1224 Quincy St NE
Minneapolis, MN 55413
In addition to the comics please include your name, address, phone number and email address.
DEADLINE FOR PARTICIPATION IS JULY 22nd.
THINGS TO NOTE:
- Each participant will receive one vending box of minis… how many minis are included in a box will depend on our level of participation. No box will contain all of the minis. Each participant will be responsible for picking up their box some time during the month of the show, or for making special arrangements if they can not attend.
- Participants names will also appear on the Lutefisk Sushi Volume D website as being a part of the little funny show.
- These comics can be by a single artist or be collaborative.
- You can do as many issues as you wish… if you want to do more than one, just ask us for another number.
- Comics may be color, or black and white, or on colored paper, or decorated with glitter glue, or painted or whatever the hell you want to do as long as they fit in the box.
- Two complete sets of all the comics will be kept for the Conspiracy archives.
- All proceeds from the comics will go to support the gallery, Altered Esthetics, which is a non-profit, community and artist centered gallery. You can read more about AE here.
- Submissions will not be returned.